At your darkest



No matter how big your regrets are - know this:



I cannot surprise Jesus with my failure
with my mess, 
 with my willful, foolish unfaithfulness.


There's nothing Satan can bring up that he doesn't already know.

So when ... much too late
 I scramble back onto my feet, swallow hard and finally, haltingly

shove the words out of my mouth

He says:

"Catherine, I already know.
I already know.
And I paid for that. 
There is no more shame. No more wrath for you to face. 

No more guilt.

There is no condemnation.

It's gone.

And when I look at those moments in your life it is not with begrudging frustration. 
It is not with disappointment. 

I do not roll my eyes. There is no hostility in my gaze. 

Yes, your sin has created distance between us, but it is a distance I have already swallowed up at the cross.*

I loved you at your darkest."





"But God demonstrates his love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." 
Romans 5:8







(*"Neither will I condemn you. Go and sin no more." John 8:11)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts