This

There are days when I feel a bit frayed at the edges.

Days of being:

Overtired.
Overstimulated. (Over-caffeinated).
Overburdened.
Overstretched.

Overwhelmed.

Days where I feel like I'm chasing my tail, without the faintest idea of what to do with it when I catch it.

Days when I lose lots of things. Particularly my keys.
Days when I electrocute myself while making toast.
Days when it's only Monday afternoon yet it feels like Thursday.
Days when my to-do list mushrooms all by itself and runs laps around me.

On days like that, there is so much comfort to be found in remembering what God asks of us.

He is not a hard task master. He doesn't demand that I annihilate my to-do list, finish my marking, and cook a three-course dinner. He doesn't insist that the house gets cleaned from top to bottom, and that I restore order to my room and my inbox.

No. He tells me to do much better things.
Good things.
Achievable things.

He tells me to trust, to hope, to abide.

To be still.



So the next time you feel like you just can't carry on doing, try this.

Try doing this:

"Abound in hope."

"Abide in my love."

"Pour out your heart to him, for God is your refuge."

"Rejoice always. Pray continually."

"Give thanks in all circumstances."

"Be watchful. Stand firm. Act like men.

"Praise the Lord oh my soul and forget not all his benefits."

"Let all that you do be done in love."

"Out-do one another in showing honour."

"Do not worry about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, make your requests known..."

"Be devoted to one another in love."

"Rejoice."

"Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God"

"Cast all your cares upon him because he cares for you."

"Run with perseverance the race marked out for you."

"Boast in the Lord."

"Work with all your heart - as unto the Lord."

"Do it all for the glory of God."

"Fix your eyes upon Jesus, the author and perfector of your faith."

"Sing."

"Press on toward the goal to win the prize."

"Be still and know that I am God."

"Take heart. I have overcome the world."

"Bless those who persecute you."

"Seek first the kingdom of God."

"Think about these things...."

"Have the mind of Christ...."

"Encourage one another daily, as long as it is called today."

"Taste and see that the Lord is good."

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart."

"Do not lean on your own understanding."

"Set your mind on things above."

"Be still."





Comments

  1. Thank you so much for writing that. I needed to be reminded of all those Biblical exhortations.
    And it's really great to remember that when we're feeling overwhelmed, He will lead us to the Rock that is higher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So helpful to have the overwhelm expressed in words when it’s hard to communicate. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts