Oh come, oh come Emmanuel

My chest is pounding. I don't feel safe. And I know it's weird and pointless but I can't quieten my inner restlessness. I'm on edge, scanning everything - all my muscles poised to fight. Or run. Or climb the walls.

But I couldn't be more out of sync with my surroundings. It's Christmas day evening in Lancashire. Turkey eaten, the reigning mood is for calm conversation, or even snoozing.

I can't take it anymore, "I'm going for a walk" I state to my assembled family with my best 'And do not mess with me' warning glare.  I plug my earphones in and head out. Christmas day darkness bites its way into my consciousness, welcome in its force and icy intensity. The darkness feels right to me. The cold feels right. Gulping in the cold air, I wander up and down the streets of Darwen, the volume of my mp3 rammed up. It's a song about God's absolute sovereignty over all things and I think I'm hoping that volume alone will help me cling onto the truth.

Comments

Popular Posts